[clug] Print to Windows Printer

Stephen Collins trib at stephencollins.org
Fri May 21 23:40:59 GMT 2004

Here's my situation:

* Home network with:
   * Fedora Core 1 workstation
   * Windows XP workstation with hp psc 1350 printer set up for sharing

What I want to do is print to the printer on the Windows box from the
Fedora box.  I have tried each of the following to set up the printer on
the Fedora box as an SMB queue:

* redhat-config-printer
* webmin
* CUPS on localhost:631

Sending a test page to the printer after using either of the first two
results in nada.  The local queue shows the job, which I can kill, but
nothing happens at the Windows end.  With redhat-config-printer or
webmin, I get the error:

Unable to connect to SAMBA host, will retry in 60 seconds... ERROR:
Connection failed with error NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

Using CUPS, a job named "Remote Downlevel Document" is sent to the
printer, but never gets processed.  It just seems to get "stuck".  The
local (Linux) queue shows the job, which I can kill.  The only way to
remove it from the queue on the Windows box is to reboot the sucker.

On a previous (RH9) Linux box, and an older Canon printer I had, this
all just worked.  Now it's cactus and I'd really like to fix it.  Can
anyone offer some sage advice to get me moving in the right direction?

TIA

Steve
Em: trib at spam.comes.in.a.can.but.not.to.this.address.stephencollins.org
Wb: http://www.stephencollins.org