[clug] [slightly OT] PC transport

David Tulloh david.tulloh at infaze.com.au
Mon May 17 03:08:52 GMT 2004

Andrew Over wrote:
> On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 07:51:20AM +0100, Simon Burton wrote:
>
>>It looks like I will try to take my desktop machine (it's a beast), not including the monitor.
>>Does anyone have hints on the best way to do this?
>>Should I get special luggage or use the box? I will be flying there and back.
>>Any help on securing my baby much appreciated.
>

> I've had the "fun" experience of moving a PC between the US and
> Australia as checked baggage.  A few observations:
>
> - Back things up before you go.
>
> - Remove the hard drives.  No really.  Yes I know they're nicely secured
>   to the case, but remove them and take them carry on (then endure the
>   fun security questions about whether they're hard drives or plastic
>   explosives).
>
> - I tried my case's original box (complete with all sorts of foam
>   padding.  It seemed to keep the case undamaged.
>
> - Fragile stickers are hit or miss.  Some baggage handlers seem to
>   interpret them as "please kick me" stickers.
>
> - If you have a case with detachable/removable drive trays, remove them
>   or superglue them.  Basically if it can come loose, it will come loose,
>   most likely in association with a rapid deceleration.
>
> - Consider also removing your heat sink.  Yes I sound like a loon.  But
>   my heat sink came loose bounced around my case and ate my 3 month old
>   (and rather expensive at the time) GeForce 4.
>
> I guess to summarise, be *really* careful about this, particularly with
> anything that could come loose internally.  With the exception of the
> graphics card, my machine survived 3 flights (though I have no idea which
> airline did the damage).  Remove hard drives.  Don't even chance it.
>
> Good luck (and I hope "fragile" stickers work for you),
> --Andrew

In addition to the above I would recomend packing the inside of your
case with socks or something similar (maybe socks in anti-static bags?).
   I would assume that it will be dropped about three times, and
internal padding should help with the impact of the shock.

Personally I used to strip my computer out of the case and pack it into
my suitcase, I had another case waiting for me at the other end.  I
would carry the harddrives in handlugage as well as backup cds and never
had a problem.  But they were international flights, I'm not sure you
want to go to that effort for a quick hop to Melbourne.

David