[clug] Fixed IP ISP

Edgecombe, Scott Scott.Edgecombe at AirservicesAustralia.com
Thu May 13 07:30:37 GMT 2004

I agree that its not an option for high availability servers but from
what my friend was saying he wants something he can get access to
remotely for personal use. The only killer will be if he can't find an
ISP that will allow external traffic through to the box. The other
hurdle may be the always on state of his ADSL.

I'm rural at home so I still sit at the end of 24.4kbps for personal net
access. I don't know what is possible in this new fangled world of
uberfast comms.

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Pool [mailto:mbp at samba.org]
Sent: Thursday, 13 May 2004 5:23 PM
To: CLUG
Subject: Re: [clug] Fixed IP ISP

On 13 May 2004, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:
> Erm, I may have to hold you up on part of that. One problem with using
> DHCP address for SMTP is if the destination server is using the SORBS
(or
> any DNSBL) to limit spam. As the address is part of the registered IP
DHCP
> space, the DNSBL part declines the connection.
>
> Drove me mad trying to find out why I wasn't getting emails from a
friend
> through to my work email until I checked the log. Lo and behold,
SORBS/DNSBL
> was rejecting the mail, as they are on a ADSL service with a Dynamic
DNS for
> their domain.
>
> As a simple solution, Dynamic DNS tools are great, but for hosting
your own
> server, they do have drawbacks.

Right, but even if you get a static IP option, you may still be listed
in some of these RBLs which cover consumer/dialup blocks.

I don't think home machines are the right place for running highly
available servers, and for casual servers dyndns is often fine.  I
think the space were you can tolerate ADSL dropouts but you can't
tolerate DNS propagation delay is pretty small.  But that's just my
opinion.

--
Martin