[clug] [WANTED] ADSL modems

George Bray listoid1 at linkalarm.com
Wed May 12 10:39:10 GMT 2004

On 11/05/2004, at 8:28 PM, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:

> Talking to a friend (who lives in Macquarie, I was told that this
> upcoming
> service is not the usual TransAct cable, but an ADSL based service. He
> mentiones "TransAct 2" as a reference to the service. The suggestion
> was
> that a high bw ADSL service delivers one TV channel (the one you
> select)
> only, then a net connection and (I think) a phone service.
>
> Remember that ADSL is specified as 6MB, so the above story is doable.
> Anyone knows what the real story is?

TransACT's "phase II" is destined to deliver phone, broadband and tv
over the telstra copper loop using an ADSL technology. They put gear in
Telstra exchanges and are "in control" of the whole service, not just a
telstra ADSL reseller.

But right now, the product being sold does not include tv. The video
delivered over the VDSL network is MPEG2 running between 4 and 9 Mbps.
It's probable that the tv delivered over ADSL will be MPEG-4 at much
lower rates. This area is developing quickly, and telco equipment to do
decent quality tv over dsl is starting to become available.

George
(not speaking for TransACT, just a video geek doing time there  :)

PS - most ADSL modems will work, TransACT can supply pretty cheap
D-Links in the package if you want.