[clug] that darn streaming TransACT

Tony and Robyn Lewis lewis at tonyandrobyn.com
Tue May 11 08:00:46 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 23:51, Tony and Robyn Lewis wrote:
> I finally got round to trying to stream TransACT , as was discussed a
> few months ago, but it's not going so well.  Prime your clue bats.

OK, after some on- and off-list help (thanks), the penny dropped.
Here's my collective thoughts, subject to correction.

1. need to have the PC plugged into Marconi modem.  Note that if you're
already plugged into the i3, it'll be a cross-over cable.  Going
straight into the Marconi requires a normal modem.  The Marconi's IP
address is 192.168.0.1, and hence you can't use that IP on your local
LAN.

2. (my ppp0 sits over eth1 - normally yours might be eth0 - substitute
accordingly) I added the following routes
	$ sudo route add 192.168.0.1 dev eth1
	$ sudo route add -net 224.0.0.0/4 dev eth1

3. I didn't need to adjust my firewall rules, which I thought I might
have to.

4. fired up VLC:
	$ vlc udp:@239.193.0.9:8208

But something is wrong.  It's only showing dumb TV - The Price is
Right.  Back to the drawing board.

Tony