[clug] [WANTED] ADSL modems

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Tue May 11 03:27:40 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-11 at 13:04, Ambrose Andrews wrote:
> re ADSL its not ADSL, i think it's VDSL or something.

interesting..

> they provide a modem if you get the i3 set top box, or else theres a
> modem included in the Motorola set top box.
>
> re. masquerading That would be a matter between you and your i.s.p.

I don't think it matters personally. If they agree to serve unlimited
traffic, it's their problem if I take them up on it.

> ActewAGL is cheap, but at least once upon a time they had a (rather
> interesting) clause to the effect that 'servers of all kinds' are
> prohibited (which i can only assume to mean everything from an ssh
> daemon to a freenet node).

Which would include games too as usually somebody has to be the server.

I will have to check up on that.

> As far as I've noticed none of the others have any problem with LANs and
> such.
>
> I went with velocity.  Very good so far.

Which lines do they use? Telstra lines, TransACT, etc.?

> Transact have a dedicated senate committees channel on their TV service
> now...

are they wearing clothes?

> WooHoo!

I guess not then ;)

> I suspect theres cheaper broadband around than Transact...
>
> ...but with the phone and TV and all, its a tricky comparison.

We might be going gas/phone/internet.

>    -AA.

Havre fun,
Darren