[clug] [WANTED] ADSL modems

Ambrose Andrews ambrose at vrvl.net
Tue May 11 03:04:52 GMT 2004

Darren Freeman wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I will soon (2 months) be getting TransACT in my area (Macquarie). Big
> whoop! Last suburb getting TransACT!
>
> Are there any compatible ADSL modems for sale? A friend also wants one
> for the same reason.
>
> Any recommendations for/against TransACT? I intend to do some IP
> masquerading and I hope they don't mind.
>
> Have fun,
> Darren

re ADSL its not ADSL, i think it's VDSL or something.

they provide a modem if you get the i3 set top box, or else theres a
modem included in the Motorola set top box.

re. masquerading That would be a matter between you and your i.s.p.

ActewAGL is cheap, but at least once upon a time they had a (rather
interesting) clause to the effect that 'servers of all kinds' are
prohibited (which i can only assume to mean everything from an ssh
daemon to a freenet node).

As far as I've noticed none of the others have any problem with LANs and
such.

I went with velocity.  Very good so far.

Transact have a dedicated senate committees channel on their TV service
now...

WooHoo!

I suspect theres cheaper broadband around than Transact...

...but with the phone and TV and all, its a tricky comparison.

   -AA.

- --
   Ambrose Andrews
   LPO Box 8274 ANU Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
   http://www.vrvl.net/~ambrose/
   +61-415544621
   CE38 8B79 C0A7 DF4A 4F54  E352 2647 19A1 DB3B F823