[clug] Mandrake 10 CDs.

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Wed May 5 07:30:53 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 16:44, Nigel Cunningham wrote:
> Evolution (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely improbable events occur
with alarming frequency, order arises from chaos, and no one is given
credit.

1) Evolution requires finitely improbable events

2) The frequency is not alarming if you consider that it requires
millions of years

3) Order arises out of chaos all the time - grow a crystal and you will
see that sometimes an ordered state is thermodynamically favoured. All
that is required is that more disorder be created elsewhere to
compensate. In the case of evolution, we have the Sun driving the
system, and its entropy is constantly rising due to nuclear fusion.

4) Whether credit is given has no relevance to whether it is happening
or not. Plenty of people give a deity or aliens or whatever credit for
evolution. Others are thankful even though they don't know what to give
credit to. It doesn't have any bearing on whether it happened or is
happening.

Creation (n): A hypothetical process whereby infinitely implausible
events occur with an alarming lack of evidence, whole groups of people
believe it anyway without question, and mock the remaining hypotheses in
taglines despite the likelihood of an ensuing flamewar.

Plus Evolution is a pretty cool mail client, so don't mock it. It beats
LookOut! and to a lesser extent other non-free clients.

Have fun,
Darren