[clug] FC2 no longer loads - black x cursor lock.

Paul Wayper paulway at mabula.net
Wed May 5 01:29:51 GMT 2004

At 06:56 PM 3/05/2004 +1000, you wrote:
>On Monday 03 May 2004 17:39, Paul Wayper wrote:
> > At this point
> > the mouse doesn't work at all, the keyboard is fine, but Alt-Ctrl-Del does
> > nothing (that I can see on screen anyway).  The only way out is to reset.
>
>Have you tried booting into 'single' mode (pass an extra paramater '1' or
>'single' to grub)?
>
>Then edit /etc/inittab so the default run-level is 3, and work from there.
>
>If you still have touble sorting it out, you could post your grub.conf (or
>menu.lst) file to the list, also listing what drives/partitions have what on
>them.

Thanks for everyone's responses; I got this to work and was able to boot
into single-user mode.  However, since it looks like I'd done something
seriously bad with the libraries (I couldn't run any of the configuration
utilities and I'm not advanced enough to know how to hack the X config by
hand) I've decided to reformat the partitions and start again.  (This was
probably my own fault for installing fresh Fedora Core 2 over a version
that I'd patched from the Internet).

Now to try and get the Windows install booting from Grub.  Does anyone else
have this working?  Because I've heard that the Windows 2000 boot loader
insists on being the first thing to boot.  How it can tell, I don't
know.  But the lines rootnoverify(0,1) and chainloder +1 are in the Grub's
configuration and when I choose that option it prints those two lines and
then hangs.

Thanks once again - sorry to bother everyone with such newbie questions.

Paul