[clug] Old linux distros and support - why I like debian

Ambrose Andrews ambrose at vrvl.net
Tue May 4 09:18:43 GMT 2004

Kim Holburn wrote:
> On 2004 May 4, , at 11:49 AM, Martin Pool wrote:
>
>> On  4 May 2004, Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> wrote:
>

> ...snip...
>
>>> I've seen this on my network a number of times.  It is made worse by
>>> commercial distros that time out maintaining security patches and
>>> distros where patching is not automatic or requires some manual
>>> configuration changes.  I know SuSE updates used to mess with /etc/
>>> files on occasion and break important things.
>>

>> Interesting point.  On the other hand, I hate that Debian packages ask
>> configuration questions during installation.  It means that you cannot
>> count on doing unattended upgrades.
>

> ???  Debian asks you questions during installs but not during upgrades
> that I've noticed.

Definitely asks me questions on upgrade

(depends on what level of detailed questions debconf is confugured to ask)

Usually "new version of configuration file for xxxxx, old file modified
by you (or a script) since last upgrade...  install new version? keep
old version, background this process, show the diff...   default is to
keep your old version".  Tedious but I guess I asked for it.

   -AA.

> --
> Kim Holburn
> IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory
> National Information and Communication Technology Australia
> Ph: +61 2 61258620 M: +61 0417820641
> Email: kim.holburn at anu.edu.au  - PGP Public Key on request
>
> Life is complex - It has real and imaginary parts.
>      Andrea Leistra (rec.arts.sf.written.Robert-jordan)

- --
   Ambrose Andrews
   LPO Box 8274 ANU Canberra ACT 2601 Australia
   http://www.vrvl.net/~ambrose/
   +61-415544621
   CE38 8B79 C0A7 DF4A 4F54  E352 2647 19A1 DB3B F823