[clug] Old linux distros and support - why I like debian

Graham Williams Graham.Williams at togaware.com
Tue May 4 02:14:17 GMT 2004

Received Tue 04 May 2004 11:50am +1000 from Martin Pool:
> On  4 May 2004, Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> > Subtitle: Why I like debian
[...]
> Interesting point.  On the other hand, I hate that Debian packages ask
> configuration questions during installation.  It means that you cannot
> count on doing unattended upgrades.

Perhaps you can get it to download the updated packages unattended
("apt-get --download-only" or else with "wajig autodownload") and then
install attended if you wanted to check configs, or else ask apt-get
to assume the default answer for configs (--assume-yes, or "wajig
autoinstall"), which in Debian is usually the right thing.

Regards,
Graham