[clug] Fun spam

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Mon May 3 01:46:23 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 02:13, Jepri wrote:
> Wow.  I'm getting a wave of spam with pithy aphorisms and quotes from
> historical figures.  It's like a 'thought for the day' mailing list, but
> I don't even have to sign up.
>
> Looks like advertising on email is starting to move towards the standard
> of TV advertising.  Normally I'd be scared, but in this case it's a step up.
>
> Anyone else noticing an improvement?

I would only be calling it an improvement if it came with a $1 payment
to my nominated bank account for wasting my time.

At least with TV advertising I get something in return, and can switch
it off at any time.

My email is paid for by me. Other people are consuming my bandwidth to
advertise to me. I can't switch it off and I get nothing in return. It's
like if pay-TV had some guy hijacking it to put their adverts on top of
the regular programming without authorisation.

I guess if we accept spam today for any reason, we'll one day have to
accept walking down the street with little advertising hoverdrones that
block half your field of view at all times. Trouble is most people just
accept it, by passively filtering it instead of actively bombing the
shit out of countries that harbour known spammers aka terrorists.

As you can probably tell I've just gone through my Monday's worth of new
spam. I consider no amount of force to be excessive at this time on a
Monday ;)

Have fun,
Darren