[clug] ACS set to call for open source take-up

Stephen Jenkin sjenkin at canb.auug.org.au
Sun May 2 11:08:33 GMT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004, Stephen Rothwell wrote:

> On Sun, 2 May 2004 10:52:16 +1000 Kim Holburn <kim.holburn at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2004/04/29/1083103604961.html
>
> Good to see them "getting with the program" :-)

Really? '(they) will release a ... policy later in the year'
Yep, sounds like a good intent.  Doesn't actually amount to any action,
useful or not.  Doesn't commit them to anything much.  _Does_ get them
press :-)  Pretty good return on time, plus they can change their minds
later if the wind blows through the right 'windows'.

The only action taken by the ACS in recent years was to get I.T. removed
from the Immigration 'hot list' [not its proper name] last year.
This was to stop Indian programmers getting in easily.  This popped up
after the Four Corners program about the new facility in
Victoria.  Infosys?

Self-interest is a powerful motivator for everyone.
It would be nice to have friends on our side that had a solid reputation
for taking a stand and sticking to it, that had a history of making a
difference.

Only time will tell if things are any different this time.
'twould be nice if 'twas.

cheers
sj

> --