[clug] LKM Trojan problem solved

Pearl Louis pearl.louis at anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 29 16:48:08 GMT 2004

After a lot of google searching, came across a link to the chkrootkit mailing
list archives.  Apparently in January this year, the developers issued a
patch:

"Hi,

chkrootkit currently fails to recognize threads in Linux kernel 2.6 and
therefore warns about LKM.  Attached patch fixes that problem: under 2.6
the threads are listed in /proc/$pid/task/$tpid.

Juergen"

Applied the patch to chkproc.c, recompiled, ran chkrootkit again and hey
presto, no complaints.

Thank god.  I was worried about my evil xmms program running rampant in my
system :)  Who knows what havoc it would have wrecked.

Pearl