[clug] Copy Controlled CDs

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Fri Mar 26 21:58:33 GMT 2004

Michael James <michael at james.st> wrote:
> Met my first Copy Controlled CD today,
>  Paul Kelly, "Ways and Means".

Ditto. My wife bought Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me" this week.

Drive spins up and down, but cdparanoia makes slow progress. Resulting
audio has pops and crackles every few seconds. cdda2wav doesn't do any
better.

Not impressed so far.

> If you ever have the misfortune to meet one,
>  don't strain your geekpower,
>  a thin band of blue whiteboard marker,
>  just touching the outside edge of the tracks...

I don't think that works for the brand of copy protection (called "Copy
Control", just to confuse things) on the Norah Jones not-CD.

I ripped it in a different drive and it worked for most tracks. Still
can't rip the 14th track, both drives make all sorts of complaints about
it. I'll have to try the whiteboard marker trick and send a letter bomb
to EMI.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org