[clug] Mandrake 10.0 is 4 CDs???

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Sat Mar 20 09:26:55 GMT 2004

On Sat, 2004-03-20 at 01:01, Pearl Louis wrote:
> >From what I understand, what was released to Mandrake Club members was 4 CDs.

If you mean, what was released for members to download, then I think
it's the 3 CD set. All of the mirrors have 3 CDs. It's plausible that
the BitTorrents were 4 CDs but I think they were open to everybody also.
It just doesn't make any sense to me that the first 3 CDs of the
for-sale sets don't match the md5sums, unless they changed the adverts
or the default background to not say "download edition". Which they
really shouldn't have done anyway since they are selling burned CDs that
might as well be downloaded.

> What was put for public download to non-members was 3.  So I guess the 4 CD
> thing was something 'special' for Club members.  Since all the online places
> had Mandrake 10 for sale before the public release, they have the 4 CD
> version.  I have the 4th CD if you need it.

It's conceivable that those places were either club members themselves
or paid money to get in early. But as I understand it, being a member
only gets you into FTP mirrors that the public don't know about, before
the main release.

Anyway I'll probably come round for the fourth CD some time. Perhaps
I'll diff the first three against the official download and solve this
conundrum once and for all!

> Pearl

Have fun,
Darren