[clug] Reinstall and reformat?

Darren Freeman daz111 at rsphysse.anu.edu.au
Sat Mar 20 09:19:22 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 22:24, Sam Couter wrote:
> Rasjid Wilcox <rasjidw at openminddev.net> wrote:
> > Well, personally I reformat everything except /home and /usr/local when doing
> > that kind of upgrade, so I know that nothing from the old version is left
> > hanging around.
>
> I just apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade without worrying about
> what's stored where, which partitions are formatted, etc.

The Mandrake equivalent is to pop in the CD and hit upgrade. It seems to
work perfectly except when you tell it you have a CD you actually don't
have, in which case it uninstalls the old package and doesn't install
the new one.

It's definitely not an incremental process, it seems to yank everything
it knows it can put back. This gets around dependencies on things like
library versions and gcc version etc.

When doing a normal update like "apt-get update", I just type "urpmi
--auto-select" and it does the same thing. Also there's a GUI that lets
you pick and choose, with changelogs in distilled form.

> Reformatting is for Windows systems. Silly rabbit.

And people who want the creamy goodness of ReiserFS v4. ;)

I'm taking the plunge sometime soon when I go to Mandrake 10.0.

Have fun,
Darren