[clug] Reinstall and reformat?

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Fri Mar 19 21:23:33 GMT 2004

On 19 Mar 2004, at 22:24, Sam Couter wrote:

> I just apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade without worrying about
> what's stored where, which partitions are formatted, etc.
>
> Reformatting is for Windows systems. Silly rabbit.

Reformatting is also for people who haven't discovered LVM. Of course,
moving the system over to LVM requires at least taking the system down
to (S)ingle user mode, since almost everything that runs on most
servers will have something open in /var/run, /var/spool, /var/cache,
or /var/log.

Even with LVM, you still need to turn the machine off to add new
hardware :\

The greatest threat of using LVM is that you end up using code that IBM
contributed to Linux from AIX, which SCO claims it owns (even though
SCO never had anything to do with developing that code).

The greatest benefit of LVM is that you can reallocate space on your
drives almost at will. Subject to the caveat of having no open files,
of course.

"Programming is like sex: one mistake and you have to support it for
the rest of your life." -Michael Sinz