[clug] [Request for testing] Announce: mcachefs

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Wed Mar 17 13:15:24 GMT 2004

mcachefs is a simple caching filesystem for Linux using FUSE. It works
by copying the file that you asked for when the file is opened, and then
using that copy for all subsequent requests for the file. This is really
a fairly naive approach to caching, and will be improved in the future.
It's good enough for now though.

mcachefs needs two filesystems to operate. The target filesystem is the
slow filesystem you want to cache accesses to, and the backing
filesystem is where mcachefs can stash stuff which it has copied. The
backing filesystem should therefore be on local disc, or the whole point
of the exercise is gone.

It is also assumed that the target filesystem is read only for now.

INSTALLING:
----------

You'll need FUSE, so your best bet is to go up a directory level, and
then type:
   ./configure
   make
   make install

(That last step needs to be done as root of course).

USING:
-----

mcachefs looks for a config file to determine where the target and
backing filesystems are located, as well as a debugging verbosity level.
mcachefs looks in the following locations for it's config file (in this
order):
	- /etc/mcachefs
	- ~/.mcachefs
	- `pwd`/mcachefs.cfg

The format of the config file is something along the lines of:

/cache/backing  /backing
/cache/target   /
/cache/verbose  99

Note that the two columns _must_be_separated_by_tabs_ for the config
file to parse properly. This config section above says that we have a
cached filesystem to mount at /cache. The backing store is /backing, the
target store is /, and we want to be _very_ verbose. Lower numbers are
less verbose. Please note that being very verbose might help with
debugging mcachefs, but _will_ slow down the filesystem.

You can now mount the cached filesystem but doing a:

	mcachefs /cache

This program wont terminate... If you kill it, the filesystem will
unmount. Don't do that. Use umount instead. I have making mcachefs
daemonise on the todo list, so don't bother reporting it as a bug please.

KNOWN BUGS:
----------

The only known bug at the moment is that if the program which is opening
a large file terminateds before the cached copy has been generated, then
a bus error occurs in mcachefs. I'm looking into that now.

SO, I CAME UP WITH THIS GREAT PATCH:

Email me at mikal at stillhq.com

NEW CODE?
--------

You can find the latest version of the code at
http://www.stillhq.com/extracted/fuse, and
http://www.stillhq.com/extracted/fuse.tgz

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,