[clug] boot time issue

Benedict and Trisha Wyss btwyss at netspeed.com.au
Wed Mar 17 11:34:02 GMT 2004

Hi all,

this is my first posting of the questioning type so bear with me.

I have just built fresh a rh8 box on a compq pro workstation. Unfortunatly
durring boot it will only see the MBR every now and then and always with the
recovery disk otherwise producing the following error "No System disk or
disk error replace and strike any key when ready". I am reasonably happy
that sda's boot sector etc are ok and functioning as it works perfectly with
the diskette. My question here is do I rebuild and hope this rectifies the
issue or is there a repair tool known to you guys??

The other point is there are 2 entries in grub.conf (see below) and am
wondering why or what is the difference when booted?
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-14smp)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14smp ro root=LABEL=/ vga=0x314
	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14smp.img
title Red Hat Linux-up (2.4.18-14)
	root (hd0,0)
	kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-14 ro root=LABEL=/
	initrd /initrd-2.4.18-14.img