[clug] Samba help

Collins, Steve Steve.Collins at industry.gov.au
Wed Mar 10 00:35:12 GMT 2004

Boris

>Perhaps its worth seeing what's contained in the logs.
>/var/log/samba/pc_name.log and smbd.log often reveals failed
>logon attempts
>as well as what error was returned. Might be worth posting
>that as well.

Again, I may be being dumb here...  But the logs for the machines we're connecting from are all old - the most recent for my machine (presently connected) is five days ago, and for the machine we're trying to connect from, back in Feb (despite connecting with my uid from it successfully yesterday, and thus presently connected).

The only thing (and I DO mean only) in my smbd.log, which is up to date as of a few minutes ago looks like this:

[2004/03/10 11:25:23, 0] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
  Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler
[2004/03/10 11:25:29, 0] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
  Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler
[2004/03/10 11:26:43, 0] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
  Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler
[2004/03/10 11:29:28, 0] smbd/oplock_linux.c:linux_init_kernel_oplocks(287)
  Failed to setup RT_SIGNAL_LEASE handler

>The other thing, is your "trib" account also present in the
>/etc/passwd file while the rest aren't?

Yes.  Both my (successful) user and the unsuccessful user are in /etc/passwd and /etc/samba/smbpasswd with apparently kosher entries.

I've definitely narrowed it down (I believe) to a permissions issue.  I have tried to connect to the other users home share from my PC using their uid/password and it fails, asking for the password again.

I'd really like to solve this, as it's a pain for my guys not to be able to get at this machine.

Steve

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is
intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.