[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Brian Morris brian at netspeed.com.au
Mon Mar 8 23:39:46 GMT 2004

Daniel makes some good points here.

I would second his recomendation of using a "black box" router for most home
users.  For linux folks however I would probably recommend that you "roll
your own"  - most home users arent smart enough or dont care enough to get
into the guts of routing and firewalling and they just want something that
will share their connection with the kids in the other room.  If you are
into linux, use it!  It rocks as a router and a firewall and you can
schedule and configure so much more cool stuff than you can on your standard
$110 router.  But!  If you are looking to save some money - a $110 router
will probably run cheaper in electricity bills over time beacuse it doesnt
have a 250 watt power supply to run it.

Like most options there are valid benefits in both.  For our office LAN we
use a BSD based router;  mostly for its configurability but also becuase
most cheap routers wont handle DMZ's or symmetrical bandwidth links, let
alone anything over 1.5Mb/s.  At home I use a DynaLink (wireless) router.
Both work fantastically and do the required job very well.

Finally.  Be careful with cheap 'routers'.  Some of them simply will not do
proper routing and insist on doing NAT for everything.  This can cause
havock if you want to run multiple web servers, or multiple anything servers
which use the same IP ports.  A Cisco router will do almost anything - but
they cost more than an old pc running linux :)

Regards,

Brian Morris
Manager,
NetSpeed.