[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Mon Mar 8 20:56:10 GMT 2004

Jepri <jepri at webone.com.au> wrote:
> As for hardware, I second the suggestions about black box routers.  You
> plug 'em in, connect to their webpage, type in your username/password
> and boom! you're online.  Sure beats stuffing around with iptables (not
> that it isn't a great product, bow scrape).

While I'm of the opinion that the black box ADSL modem/router jobs are
pieces of shite. Buggy, lacking features, hard (or impossible) to
upgrade, full of vulnerabilities that the manufacturers won't even
acknowledge, let alone fix. All the worst parts of proprietary software
combined with no-maintenance (read: un-maintainable) hardware. They're
not worth the black plastic they're made of.

And you're going to rely on that to protect your home network from the
most hostile computing environment on the planet?

No thanks. It's too easy to set up a real Linux box (or OpenBSD if
that's your preference) as a firewall for that to be an excuse.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org