[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Paul Hampson Paul.Hampson at anu.edu.au
Mon Mar 8 12:31:33 GMT 2004

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 06:43:34PM +1100, Michael Woods wrote:
> Hello everyone. I've been snooping this list for quite some time now
> listening and thinking about making an appearance to the next LUG
> meeting.. Anyway, I wanted to ask everyone out there with ADSL, why and
> who there provider is. So if there's any advice or preference toward a
> certain provider please don't hesitate to inform me. A plan with 512/128
> 16Gig+ is desirable with shaping for over quota usage and if there
> anyone that utilizes 'Pipe' like networking for data such as Linux
> Distro's and other media. As I live in the Gungahlin area and they
> decided to finally add some MUX's to the Crace exchange I'm certainly
> getting ADSL. The question is who.

> There is much to learn with hardware/packages/providers and what better
> source than the educated minds of Linux users to ask.

I'm currently using a Comindico ADSL reseller (which I happen to run,
but really Comindico's Comindico so the ISP providing it's not as
important at this point) and I've been quite happy with it. 512kb/128kb
unmetered, I see 55kB/s download from a server in Canberra, and even
from the rest of the world I see ~40kB/s download regularly.

There's fun stuff coming from Comindico that might suit you even better,
during March/April, but I'm not actually allowed to give any details.
:-(

(Although I can tell customers, and nothing stops _them_ from telling
the world. Deranged world that we live in.)

The nature of the "stuff" means other ISPs may also be seeing changes to
their ADSL setups (for the better :-) in a similar timeframe.

So I guess my suggestion is hold off for a month, and see what happens.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson at Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

use, duplication and distribution.