[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Randall Crook rcrook at vtown.com.au
Mon Mar 8 08:33:59 GMT 2004

My ADSL Story:

First up my preferences.

1. Cheap, goes without saying. :)
2. Unlimited. I wanted to be able to run my own little network at home
and download as much as I wanted.

I had a look around, even posted here. Convincing the wife was the most
troublesome part of the whole decision. Most Unlimited plans I found
were pretty much of a muchness price wise but some had "gotchas" with
them, EG: Telstra wanted my phone bidness for the good prices, same with
Optarse and TPG had a good price, but limited your end to one PC.

I then decided to look at the ISP I was with for dial-up, Virtual
Communities. I got a dial-up account with the PCs' packages I had
purchased through them and had been with them for 4 years. I hadn't had
any real issues with them on the dial-up and they offered a few bucks of
the bigblue deals (They sub-contract the adsl through bigblue). All up
it was $90 signup, $64/month for 256/64 Unlimited/Unrestricted. The plus
is I did not have to change my e-mails :). I did however buy my own
DLink DSL-504 Modem router and splitter filter for ~$300 from
Auspcmarket, (VC would supply a USB modem for free) but I was not at all
interested in trying to get one working on my fedora. Plus I wanted my
network.:).

The install of the DSL-504 was very easy, and config was simple (pretty
good web interface) Port redirection and filtering was easy. When I was
contacted re the adsl account, I just put in the username and password
and it came up.

After a bit of trouble with the emails accounts, it has been a move I
don't think I will give up now. It may only give me 25KB a sec down load
but My wife is not hammering me about the phone line always been tied up
:).

Here is a link that you might find useful.

http://www.australianispdirectory.com/02_act/act.html

--
Regards,
rcrook at vtown.com.au