[clug] ADSL Provider Questions

Stephen Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Mon Mar 8 07:54:15 GMT 2004

Michael

I don't use them for personal connections (curse being 200m outside the
ADSL-CPE range), But I do use them for all my client sites, and I've found
Powerband Networks to be a good provider (www.powerband.net.au). Very Linux
friendly (hell, all of our on-site servers connected to them run either
FreeBSD or Mandrake), and their support guys know their stuff (I won't start
on our current provider support flunky who tried to argue sendmail was a
file sharing package, and I risked prosecution for using it). We had a
problem with a client site at 8pm on Christmas Eve, and was back online by
8.20pm.

They are run by some of the previous management of Spirit Networks (which is
what made me pick them for our product connections), and have always been
prompt in connection requests. In fact, one client applied on Friday the
19th of December, and was installing his modem on Monday the 22nd December.

I have no complaints with their support, and in the few times I've had to
leave messages, I've been speaking to someone within the hour. They are also
offering free activation and installation on all plans at the moment, and do
not packet shape on their unlimited plans. When we move to our shopfront, we
will most definitely use them for all our connection needs.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Steve Walsh