[clug] PCI 2.2 devices and a non-PCI 2.2 bus

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sat Mar 6 07:35:13 GMT 2004

Heya,

so, I have a PCI 2.2 device (or at least the box says), and the random
sacraficial machine I wanted to plug it into has an Intel 430TX PCI host
bridge on board.

When I plug the card in, the machine refuses to power up. This makes me
very sad.

Now, googling tells me that the Intel 430TX is a PCI 2.1 host bridge,
which is I assume why it doesn't work. The machine is an Intel Pentium
133 machine from a very long time ago.

So, after all that, my question. What is the oldest machine in my
collection that I can reasonably expect to have a PCI 2.2 bus on the
motherboard? Googling hasn't found anything which indicates to me what
the first machines to ship with this version was.

Cheers,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,