[clug] Satellite links

Alex Satrapa grail at goldweb.com.au
Thu Mar 4 11:02:30 GMT 2004

On 4 Mar 2004, at 13:33, Adrian Blake wrote:

> I am using an Optus sat. link. 256K down and 128K up. There  is Cisco
> router at this end and tunnelling is used between here and Sydney.

What kind of tunnelling? Two of the common styles at present are CIPE
and (L2TP/)IPSec, some people insist on using PPP over SSH - the former
two can cope with packet loss or delay, the latter one can't.

"The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to
choose from"
     -- Andrew Tanenbaum