[clug] Reverse-proxy / clustering question

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Thu Mar 4 01:41:41 GMT 2004

On  4 Mar 2004, Adam <adam at eschatologist.org> wrote:
> I'll just describe what I want first off.
>
> I want a website split across two (or more) machines.
>
> http://www.hostname.com/ to be served from machine 1
> and
> http://www.hostname.com/foo to be served from machine 2
>
> So it's a question of course as to whether a reverse-proxy running on a
> 3rd machine can be configured to split URL requests in this manner.  I've
> been looking at Squid, Apache, and LinuxVirtualServer and they look
> promising but not certain.
>
> So I'm just hoping that somebody on the list has done this before and can
> tell me that X works well and it's just a matter of administering it.

You should be able to do this using Apache's mod_rewrite.  Search for
'proxy' in this page:

  http://httpd.apache.org/docs/mod/mod_rewrite.html

You didn't say if you're splitting the site for throughput,
availability or other reasons.  If you are doing this to serve more
requests/sec than a single machine can handle then Apache may be too
slow.

--
Martin