[clug] Reverse-proxy / clustering question

Daniel Smith drs at dreamcraft.com.au
Thu Mar 4 01:36:22 GMT 2004

On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 10:39:28AM +1100 or thereabouts, Adam wrote:
> I'll just describe what I want first off.
>
> I want a website split across two (or more) machines.
>
> http://www.hostname.com/ to be served from machine 1
> and
> http://www.hostname.com/foo to be served from machine 2

is this what you meant?

http://www.zope.org/Members/bfordham/docs/zope_and_others

> So it's a question of course as to whether a reverse-proxy running on a
> 3rd machine can be configured to split URL requests in this manner.  I've
> been looking at Squid, Apache, and LinuxVirtualServer and they look
> promising but not certain.

Possible also look at Pound. Brad Fitz (livejournal.com) thought it
was reasonable, but he wrote his own anyway (in mono)

http://www.apsis.ch/pound/
http://www.bradfitz.com/share/monobal/monobal-0.3.tar.gz (if brave)

> So I'm just hoping that somebody on the list has done this before and can
> tell me that X works well and it's just a matter of administering it.

Ahhh, optimism.

Daniel