[clug] ATI video out?

Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au
Wed Mar 3 23:51:31 GMT 2004

Last night I found the S-Video -> composite cable that came with my most recent
desktop, so I thought I'd try getting the video outputs working on it and the laptop.

Fortunately, atitvout is available as a Debian package, so installation
was a doddle. And avtitvout even seems to work (for small values of "work"),
It looks like I can toggle PAL/NTSC and query card status etc.etc..

However, if I try and enable the video out, I get a VBE error and querying
the card says that video is disabled. The laptop has an ATI Rage LT Pro,
and some doco says that the LCD and video output cannot be used at the
same time, but something like "atitvout -f t; sleep 10; atitvout -f l" doesn't
seem to work (without or without the -f flag which forces LT Pro).

Has anyone else on the list got ATI video output working and have any suggestions
on gotchas? Does the LCD's mode need to be set to something like 640x480?

Cheers,

Antti