[clug] java tools

Brad Hards bhards at bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 3 07:02:39 GMT 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 07:37 am, Sam Couter wrote:
> Brad Hards <bhards at bigpond.net.au> responded:
> > Perhaps you should get better programmers, not better tools, but [...]
>
> This is a very poor attitude. No matter how good your programmers are,
> automated code checking tools can help.
I agree that tools can help. Perhaps I should have been clearer - not putting
bugs in the code is obviously a better approach than having to fix them
later. The errors that were identified (unused variables, etc) are things
that should have been found during simple code walkthrough. My point was that
automated tools used by themselves won't make for good code - tools used by
inexperienced programmers won't find a bad design approach, which is the real
killer.
> Do you also advocate against unit testing in favour of hiring better
> programmers? What about revision control?
I like (and write) unit tests. I like (and use) CVS.
All I am saying is that I'd rather have talented, experienced programmers than
people who can run lint or do "cvs commit" a lot.

Brad