[clug] Re: [oztivo] RE: bulk order. sort of [FOR SALE]

Aaron Smith Aaron.Smith at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 1 05:59:01 GMT 2004

As I have grown inpatient and the OzTivo bulk order seems to have
stalled (see below email) I had decided to go-it-solo and order a
diskless Tivo from Eklectic Systems (www.eksys.com).

>From emails with George at eksys.com I have found that he does following
pricing for oztivo users:

Diskless Tivo (Series 1, remote, IR blaster, etc.) US$90
TurboNet card (with cables, etc.)                  US$70
Shipping: USPS Global, Priority mail (5-7 days?)   US$85
Shipping: Economy Surface (3 months?)              US$40

George says that he has found that by removing the feet (easy replaced)
and stuffing the cables inside the tivo unit he can ship multiple Tivo's
in the same box via USPS Global Priority mail. This should cost:

Two Tivo's in same box                            US$137
Three Tivo's in same box                          US$192

I was initially planning to get a single tivo and turbonet card via
slow-boat. My new plan is to do one of the following:

A. Shun the CLUG Tivo interest and get one Tivo and card for myself via
cheap-arse mail [not the most social option but the easiest].

B. Partner with one or two CLUG-ers to share shipping cost in the
multiple Tivo, single box scheme [this does depend on whether the
tubonet cards will fit in the same box].

C. Liase with many CLUG-ers to allow several people to take advantage of
the multiple Tivo, single box scheme [scary co-ordinating but most
community minded option].

D. Start a pyramid scheme in which access to the sales channel (me) and
discount levels are based on number of other parties you get to purchase
or how many they in-turn get to purchase, etc.

Is there any interest in Plans B, C, or D or should I stick with Plan A?

Aaron.