[clug] Fedora Core and Debian

Martin Pool mbp at samba.org
Mon Mar 1 01:51:43 GMT 2004

On  1 Mar 2004, "Edgecombe, Scott" <Scott.Edgecombe at AirservicesAustralia.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me what constitutes a stable release of Fedora?
> (The FAQ's don't give a clear def.)
>
> Is Core 1 regarded as stable?

I think Core 1 is "as stable as Fedora is going to get".  Whether that
is sufficiently stable for your purposes is up to you.

I don't think it is RH's intention to ever bring Fedora to the same
level of stability that they do for their "Enterprise" releases.
Stability in this context means "no sudden changes", not "won't
crash."  I'm sure they will try to make it as bug-free as they can.

It is not going to be something where you can install FC1 and just do
no other changes aside from security fixes for five years, as you
supposedly can with RHEL.  If you use Fedora, you need to plan on
rolling forward through releases, much as with Debian
testing/unstable.

So it is kind of vaguely like getting free non-expiring betas for
commercial software.

> How much was lost from the OS when RH dropped it?

I don't think it is fair to say they dropped it.

> Does any one have a ballpark date for the release of 'Sarge' into
> stable?  (I know, it's ready when it's ready, don't answer that.)

I would guess it will be the second half of 04.

Personally I think planning on running Debian stable is pointless,
unless you both enormously like Debian and have a machine with very
strong stability requirements.  Otherwise, just run testing.  It is
good enough for everyday use by the kind of developer/enthusiast
people who thinks about running Debian or Fedora.

Kind of off the topic: do you really want enterprise-style stability
on a home/hobby machine?  In other words, do you want it to not change
for the five-year life of the hardware?  Personally, no: I like
getting, say, new Mozilla updates shortly after the upstream release.
But I wouldn't want that on my telco server or 5000-seat call center.

--
Martin