[clug] to swap or not to swap that is the question

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Jun 29 13:46:49 GMT 2004

On Tue, Jun 29, 2004 at 11:39:27PM +1000, Sam Couter wrote:
> Michael Cohen <michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au> wrote:
> > Sam,
> >
> > As far as I understand it kernel memory is never swapped - hence NFS code
> > would never swap because it lives in kernel space. Only userland apps swap.
>
> The Linux kernel has both swappable and non-swappable pages. Parts of
> the kernel can indeed be swapped out.

Huh what

since when?

AFAIR this is one thing Linus has been adamant about for a long long time,
do not add the complexity of swappable kernel code to the kernel.

There was once upon a time the user space nfs server, however the nfs file
system in the linux kernel has always been kernel space, of course I guess
someone could implement User Space NFS with FUSE or something easily
maybe... <eg>

	See You
	    Steve

--
sjh at wibble.net http://svana.org/sjh
You are subtle as a window pane standing in my view