[clug] to swap or not to swap that is the question

Sam Couter sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Tue Jun 29 13:23:43 GMT 2004

Tony and Robyn Lewis <beakysnugger at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> Do you mean using RAM to pretend to be a disk to pretend to be RAM.

Once upon a time, people used to think about creating a swap file on an
NFS mounted filesystem.

Page fault leads to kernel wanting to swap something out. Needs to
access NFS code/data to do so. NFS code/data is in swap already, so
trying to access it generates another page fault. I think we can all see
where this goes... Right to the funny little button on the front of the
computer case.
Sam "Eddie" Couter  |  mailto:sam at couter.dropbear.id.au
Debian Developer    |  mailto:eddie at debian.org