[clug] Testing filesystem performance?

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Sun Jun 27 01:37:40 GMT 2004

Heya,

one of the things I need to do to finish my FUSE talk is come up with
some timings for how slow FUSE actually is. So far I've done three
kernel compiles on an ext3 filesystem, and then three kernel compiles on
a FUSE filesystem which rewrites all accesses straight back to that same
ext3 filesystem.

That's not a perfect metric, as we're also measuring how slow the hard
disc and CPU in my laptop are...

Do people have other suggestions as to how to test the performance of a
filesystem? Google seems to suggest just creating a bunch of files and
directories, syncing a few times, and then deleting some stuff.

Thanks,
Mikal

--

Michael Still (mikal at stillhq.com) | "All my life I've had one dream,