[clug] [For Sale] Novell / IBM 1-day Linux Technical Workshop

Kim Holburn kim.holburn at anu.edu.au
Sat Jun 26 12:20:52 GMT 2004

On 2004 Jun 26, , at 10:02 PM, Tomasz Ciolek wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 09:47:37PM +1000, Kim Holburn wrote:
>>
>> I was told about some of the implications of this law recently and it
>> became suddenly clear to me why the law should stay out of technical
>> problems.  This bill is going to make it much more difficult for
>> companies/organisations to email people.  It potentially creates
>> problems for any mailing lists.
>
> Kim, perhaps you should get familiar with the law, and see what it
> really means.
>
>> Look spam, real spam these days, has fake headers.  Any email with a
>> real return address has a "Functional unsubscribe facility".
>
> Does it? I beg to differ. But thats just me.

Well then what about a line in any email that says:

   To stop receiving mail from me: reply and let me know.

btw I could add this as a header but if you used Outlook you might
never see it.  What does the law say about that?

--
Kim Holburn
IT Manager, Canberra Research Laboratory

                           -- Lloyd Biggle, Jr. Analog, Apr 1961