[clug] Video editing under linux and financial incentives.

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Jun 22 08:28:32 GMT 2004

Martin Pool wrote:

> You can lose respect by posting illiterate "you suck!" rants (a la
> Telek), or making threats like "I won't use it until..."  Threatening
> to leave is pointless if you weren't contributing in the first place.

I agree. The other thing I would like to point out here is that I
personally think advocacy is a little obsolete. People at work often ask
me to defend Linux and open source to them, and my answer is
increasingly something along the lines of:

"No. What you or I think about it is irrelevant, because the market is
demanding that people care about Linux and open source."

What I mean by that is that people now come up to me and ask how to do
this Linux thing, I don't need to walk around screaming "testify!".
There is so much momentum behind Linux now that individual people no
longer make a lot of difference.

The point I'm getting at is that Martin is right. Threaten away. Leave.
All it means is that _you'll_ miss out on the revolution.

Cheers,
Mikal

PS: I have the benefit of being quite close to a lot of Microsoft people
in my day job. They're worried. They're scared. There's a reason.