[clug] Virtual Ethernet Interfaces and Routing

Andrew Smith andrew at coolchilli.com
Sat Jun 19 00:39:42 GMT 2004

> But for some some reason I just couldn't make it route packets.  Is there
> something that needs to be enabled in the kernel, caus I don't want to do
ip
> masquerading because that seems a bit silly in this situation.

cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward  it should be 1 not 0

else echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward

If the adsl router is a bit of an unknown, or has limited diagnostics I
would check this as you described, one of your hosts on each subnet, ping
and pass traffic between them to test.  If the host on the 192.168.1.0/24
subnet has a web server you could test your transparent proxy too.

Andrew