[clug] Nagios service error

Collins, Steve Steve.Collins at industry.gov.au
Thu Jun 10 02:50:23 GMT 2004

We're in the process of establishing a monitoring box using Nagios.  I'm now at a point where I want to expand the check_http on several servers to actually check virtual hosts on those boxes.  A ./check_http -help
suggests I can do the following as an initial step in my services.cfg file:

# Service definition - http
define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of service template to use
        host_name                       itrwebtest2
        service_description             HTTP_SITECENTRAL
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            1
        contact_groups                  web-admins
        notification_interval           120
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   check_http --hostname=sitecentraltest.industry.gov.au
        }

Yet, when I put this in place and restart Nagios, I get the following:

[root at blacksheep root]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/nagios restart
Running configuration check...
Nagios 1.2
Copyright (c) 1999-2004 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Last Modified: 02-02-2004
License: GPL

Reading configuration data...

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
Error: Service check command 'check_http --hostname=sitecentraltest.industry.gov.au' specified in service 'HTTP_SITECENTRAL' for host 'itrwebtest2' not defined anywhere!

<SNIP extra error data>

Strangely, this all works just frin when I do the check_http from the command line.

Can anyone give me a hand here?

Steve
- --
Stephen Collins
Web Development Section
eBusiness Division
Department of Industry, Tourism and Resources
Level 12, 20 Allara Street, Canberra City ACT 2600
GPO Box 9839, Canberra ACT 2601

E steve.collins at industry.gov.au
P +61 2 62137193
C +61 410 680722
F +61 2 62136227

The information contained in this e-mail, and any attachments to it, is
intended for the use of the addressee and is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, read, forward, copy or retain any of the information. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please delete it and notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.
The Commonwealth does not warrant that any attachments are free from viruses or any other defects. You assume all liability for any loss, damage or other consequences which may arise from opening or using the attachments.