[clug] Auto intro email generation

Peter Barker pbarker at barker.dropbear.id.au
Thu Jun 10 02:33:17 GMT 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, John Fletcher wrote:

> Does anyone know a nice way of automatically sending an email to a user
> when their user account is first generated?
>
> Like "Welcome, thanks for choosing us" etc.

You could probably just put a "mail -s 'Welcome!' ..." in:
/usr/local/sbin/adduser.local

That's hooked from /usr/sbin/adduser - if you're using some other
mechanism, that won't work.

You could also do it at a lower level by renaming /usr/sbin/useradd to
something else and invoking it from a new /usr/sbin/useradd which did the
mailout.

If you're not calling either of those, then... do something different :)

> John.

Yours,
--
Peter Barker                          |   N    _--_|\ /---- Barham, Vic
Programmer,Sysadmin,Geek              | W + E /     /\