[clug] stream TransACT - to file this time

Francis James Whittle fudje at phreaker.net
Mon Jun 7 03:16:00 GMT 2004

I have a script that utilizes the array of command line options
available to vlc, and also the 'start-stop-daemon' utility.  It records
the MPEG2 transport stream direct to disk.  You'll probably want to
modify it somewhat so it records into the directory you want (clue: it's
the bit after '--sout'), and also recently VLC decided to start
segfaulting on me when I tried to use it like this - but hopefully that
shouldn't be a problem:

#!/bin/sh

/sbin/start-stop-daemon --start --exec /usr/bin/vlc --pidfile
"/home/fudje/rectv-$2.pid" --make-pidfile --background -- -I http -V
null -A null --sout "file:///buffer/video/$2.vob"
"udp:@239.193.0.$1:8208"

sleep $3

/sbin/start-stop-daemon --stop --pidfile "/home/fudje/rectv-$2.pid"

# end

Cute little hack, ain't it?
Anyway, you execute it like "rectv.sh 10 ten 3600" to record channel 10
to /buffer/video/ten.vob for 3600 seconds (an hour).
For timed-on, you can just chuck it in your crontab.

Cheers,
	Francis