[clug] cd protected cd ?

Michael James clug at james.st
Wed Jun 2 03:57:39 GMT 2004

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 12:28 pm, Pietro Abate wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've got a cd from Norah Jones, but I'm having problems to encode it to
> store it on my hd (I've also problems just to listen it from my pc...).

I had a similar problem with the latest Paul Kelly CD, "Ways and Means".

Wouldn't rip or play on a PC, just made "head going back and forth" noises.
I drew a fine blue line around the outer edge with a whiteboard marker,
 and it acted normally.

The Mac at home didn't see the problem and iTunes riped it unmarked.

> Browsing around I've discovered that "blue note" sell these copy
> protected cds all around the world.
Mine had "Copy Controlled" instead of the CD logo
 because they aren't really CDs.

See a previous thread "Copy Controlled CDs".

> ++ "All great truths begin as blasphemies." -George Bernard Shaw
> ++ Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments.
I don't mind word attachments,
 just include a cheque for the price of Windows and Word...

PS: I'd be happy to lend my "Copy Controlled CD"
 if anyone else wants to research copy protection...
I'd like to hear what it did in various CD drives and players.
(Of course, copying it would be a heinous crime
 akin to pillaging a village and enslaving its inhabitants.)

Michael James                         michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator                    voice:  02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility             fax:  02 6246 5166