[clug] ext3 in writeback mode

Andrew Pollock andrew-clug at andrew.net.au
Tue Jun 1 23:38:33 GMT 2004

Hi,

I'm rebuilding my mail server, and I'm switching from mbox format to Maildir
format.

I'm wondering if I should use writeback mode for the (ext3) /home
filesystem, because apparently it's way fast[0].

Google hasn't come back with any absolute horror stories of uber corruption,
and the manpage for mount doesn't have a big red flag next to using
writeback mode, it just says you may suffer from deja vu after a crash.

Has anyone got any war stories with respect to using ext3 in writeback mode?

regards

Andrew

[0] http://www.gurulabs.com/ext3-reiserfs.html