[clug] [EMPLOYMENT] Software Developer/Architect

Nick dos Remedios nick at cambia.org
Wed Jul 28 01:48:44 GMT 2004

Another job advert (see below) that may be of interest to CLUG members.
The job covers 2 projects: a web app in Java and a set of informatics
tools to be eventually released under a OS license.

We currently have a team of (2 f/t + 1 p/t) programmers (mostly Perl &
C coding on Debian & Suse Linux) and the job will initially involve
developing a new web app in Java (BioForge) - so there will be a fair
bit of mentoring (Java) required as well, as the rest of us get up to
speed in Java.

The second project is a set of tools to assist in the searching and
interpretation of patent text (life science domain) and it is expected
that these "informatics" tools will be released as open source.

Nick
----
Nick dos Remedios
CAMBIA Intellectual Property Resource
<mailto:nick at cambia.org>
<http://www.cambiaIP.org/>

Software Developer/Architect

The BIOS Initiative is a new international activity of CAMBIA
(www.cambia.org), supported by the Rockefeller Foundation, IBM and
others. It aims to forge a protected commons in which a cooperative,
decentralised public good based approach to innovation in the life
sciences can flourish. BIOS draws inspiration from similar endeavours
in the Open Source IT community, but will adapt these concepts to
stimulate progress in diverse fields including sustainable agriculture,
nutrition, public health and environment.

The BIOS Initiative will develop informatics tools to overcome complex
intellectual property challenges, to restore transparency and to
facilitate collaborative biological innovation.  BIOS will build on the
extensive work of the CAMBIA IP team (www.cambiaip.org), who have
developed a free online Intellectual Property resource comprising
technology landscapes, tutorials and a world class full-text searchable
patent database holding more than 1,500,000 patents. The BIOS
Initiative, through its new activity BioForge, will also develop new
tools and resources required to galvanise an international, interactive
on-line community of researchers and collaborative biological research
projects.

To achieve our goals we need to expand our multidisciplinary team with
an experienced software developer/architect. To be successful you must
have proven experience in the following:

* 7+ years software development experience

* 5+ years Java experience

* Unix/Linux experience

* Experience with at least one of Perl, C or C++

* Web application development

* XML and XSLT

The following are desirable:

* Substantial involvement in an Open Source software project

* Experience in one or more of the following: expert systems, knowledge
management systems, text retrieval, data/text mining, natural language
processing or artificial intelligence

* Knowledge of and experience with the life sciences and/or
intellectual property

Applications to Liz Deaves: e.deaves at cambia.org

Enquiries to Doug Ashton: d.ashton at cambia.org, ph (02) 6246 4500

CLOSING DATE: Friday 30 July 2004