[clug] Wanted: Transcend Jetflash USB Key

Rob Weir rweir at ertius.org
Sun Jul 18 04:32:06 GMT 2004

On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 08:18:49PM +1000, Basil Chupin said
> Rob Weir wrote:

> >>They have Transcend 512MB USB 2 sticks
> >>in stock in the computer shop at ANU.	$219
> >>Also 256 and 128s
> >

> >Just picked up a 32MB one (for gpg/ssh keys) for $40, and it even has
> >instructions for Linux...tacky, tacky plastic, though.
> >
> >-rob
>
> The price seems rather high. A 256Mb one is around $85 at the Computer
> Fair (one on tomorrow at Woden CIT).

Hm, I suppose so.  But I was in a rush and 32MB is still far more than I
need.  Oh well.

> Re the plastic. A tip: always hold it by the SIDES when
> inserting/removing. The plastic shell is rather thin and the "guts" are
> separated from the plastic body my little bent metal "legs" which will
> push thru the plastic if you squeeze the top and bottom of the Jetflash.

Argh, thanks, good to know...the whole thing does seem fairly flimsy, I
think I'll try to only use it with the attached USB cable so I'm not
putting so much strain on the little plug.

> If the "legs" do push thru and the plastic is damaged (actually breaks
> away) you can repair the damage by using clear nail polish to glue back
> the plastic bits that come away.

Ah, good to know, thanks.

--
Words of the day:             national information infrastructure brigand S Key