[clug] Network Simulator Software

Aaron Smith Aaron.Smith at Sun.COM
Wed Jul 21 01:02:05 GMT 2004

Yama,

In the end I used NIST Net (http://snad.ncsl.nist.gov/itg/nistnet/).
While it was nowhere near as capable at simulating whole networks,
compared to REAL, it was a very simple way to turn my router (naturally
a linux host) in to a configurable network link simulator.

NIST Net made it possible for me to choose how much latency, bandwidth,
lost packets and duplicated packets I had between to Ethernet networks.
This was tres handy for determining how different software would handle
different types of network connections. In my case I was able to see how
a particular network-based thin client would perform when the client was
a long way from the server (high latency) or when the network connection
between server and client was small reltively small (such as dial-up or
broadband).

Aaron.

--

Aaron Smith