[clug] Mailing list terms of use

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Wed Jul 14 01:05:09 GMT 2004

On 14 Jul 2004, Antti.Roppola at brs.gov.au wrote:
> Actually, you are quite correct. Though I was *looking* for it last
> night, it completely missed my eye. Maybe it should be in bold caps
> like the "NOT FOR SAMBA QUESTIONS" immediately above it? (which I did see)
>
> How about an enumerated list with "TERMS OF USE" in bold at the top, and
> also email it to new subscribers when they confirm their email address?

Maybe we should add "no top posting" and "no ridiculous disclaimers"
too. :-)

The two cases where this has occurred recently have been from people
not subscribed to the list, so I don't think putting it in the welcome
message would make any difference.  Nobody seems to read them anyway,
to judge from number of the 'pls unscribe me!" messages on samba.org.

I'd like to suggest that in future, if anyone feels a message is
offtopic, they send their opinion to the original poster and not to
the list.

--
Martin