[clug] Connection refused on boot, no problems after boot

Mark Adams madams9 at netscape.net
Mon Jul 12 19:11:59 GMT 2004

I've got an annoyance I've been looking at for months.

When I boot my Mandrake Linux 9.2 box (hostname "adamsmdk"), I get this
in the boot message:

Jul 12 06:13:23 adamsmdk mount: resolve_lmhosts: Attempting lmhosts
lookup for name adamsmdk<0x20>
Jul 12 06:13:23 adamsmdk mount: Connecting to 192.168.5.100 at port 139
Jul 12 06:13:23 adamsmdk mount: error connecting to 192.168.5.100:139
(Connection refused)
Jul 12 06:13:23 adamsmdk mount: Error connecting to 192.168.5.100
(Connection refused)
Jul 12 06:13:23 adamsmdk mount: 3000: Connection to adamsmdk failed

The mount command in /etc/fstab is:

//adamsmdk/public /mnt/samba/public smbfs
user,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.adamsmdk.madams,quiet 0 0

This machine connects to two other machines (WinXP Pro and WinXP Pro)
with no problem.  But the funny thing is that after boot, it connects to
itself just fine. Here's the smbclient:

[madams at adamsmdk madams]$ smbclient -d -3 -L \\adamsmdk
Password:

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        netlogon       Disk
        print$         Disk
        pdf-generator  Printer   PDF Generator (only valid users)
        pdf-screen     Printer   PDF Generator - Screen quality (only
valid users)
        pdf-printer    Printer   PDF Generator - Print quality (only
valid users)
        pdf-prepress   Printer   PDF Generator - PrePress quality (only
valid users)
        public         Disk      All Net Access
        chrisdocs      Disk      Chris's Docs
        SharedDocs     Disk      Shares on Chrisq
        HP_DJ_400      Printer   On Chris's machine
        ALEX-C         Disk      C drive on AlexA
        ALEX-D         Disk      D on AlexA
        HP_LJ_3P       Printer   HP Laserjet 3P
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service (Samba Server 2.2.8a)
        ADMIN$         Disk      IPC Service (Samba Server 2.2.8a)
        madams         Disk      Home Directories

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        ADAMSMDK             Samba Server 2.2.8a
        ALEXA
        CHRISQ               Christian's Dell Dimension 2400

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------
        ADAMS-LAN            ADAMSMDK

Any idea what is going on here?